Here is the FAQ about Nethack on Palm computer, version 0.1A.
To be posted monthly.
- What is Palm?
- It is a pocket-size computer which works on batteries.
- Does nethack for Palm exist?
- I want to implement nethack on Palm. What
are the main difficulties I'll encounter?
- Because Palm OS 3.0 gives to programs
only 3.5K of stack memory and only 32K
of global memory, you should rewrite
all the code, storing almost all the data
in files or databases.
Alternatively, you can write a program which
parses C code and adds code which reads from/writes to
The screen interface will also be different, but thats
an easier part, IMO.
- What are the closest things to Palm Nethack existing?
PocketRogue, by Takebayashi Tomoaki.
A very nice small roguelike game which resembles early versions
of Nethack, and uses only 71K. (Free with source)
iRogue, by Half-Dead Spider Entertainment. Uses 110K, buggy.
Nethack for WinCE.
The Nethack 3.2 port.
Steve Moret's Nethack 3.3 port.
Alex Kompel's Nethack 3.3 port.
Bridget Spitznagel's Hack 1.0.3 port.
All of these are free with source.
There are also many good commercial roleplaying games for Palm OS,
The best and the the most roguelike of them is
Ackeron with 160 objects and 70 monsters.
- Isn't there anything I can do to play Nethack on a PDA?
- Is anybody working on porting NetHack to Palm?
- Funny you should ask! See The NetHack Palm Porting Project.
J. Ali Harlow, email@example.com